Neutron Convert Facility:
A beryllium neutron converter, based on (g,n) reaction using photons from the Microtron facility, has been designed and fabricated in collaboration with the LNPD, BARC. The converter facility is an addition to the existing Microtron facility and it provides fast and thermal neutrons of moderate flux to carry out research studies.
Major research projects sanctioned by BRNS and DST have helped in developing the laboratory infrastructure. Some of the equipment procured under the research projects are:
- Deep Level Transient Spectrometer (Lab-Equip, India) for defect characterization in semiconductor materials/ devices
- Capacitance-Voltage (CV) Measurement Unit
- Keithley Source Measure unit 236(2 Nos.) with a Trigger Controller
- UV–Vis Spectrophotometer with a resolution and reproducibility better than 1%
- High Speed Centrifuge
- Thermolumminescent Dosimeter (TLD) Reader
- 3" x 3" Well type and 5" x 5" Flat type NaI(Tl) detectors with accessories
- N-type 41.2% relative efficiency HpGe detector with accessories
- Laminar flow (a clean air system with dimension 6ft x 3ft and vertical airflow for contamination studies), Autoclave and hot water shaker bath for biophysics studies
- A high sensitivity radiation survey meter (Victoreen) with a range of 1 mR/h to 20 R/h, ionization chamber based zone monitors, Direct Reading Dosimeters, etc.
- Neutron Monitoring system
- Biological grade incubator with inner dimension 18”x18”x24” with digital temperature readout and control with an accuracy of ±0.1oC)
- Fission chamber (brass) for fission experiments consisting of a target and SSNTD film mounting facility
- Research Microscope with DIC/ Phase / Dark Field / Fluorescence attachment and Image Analyzer with Camera
- Silver wrapped GM detector for online photoneutron detection.